Monday, April 27, 2009

Strielka (stree-el-ka)

written April 22, 2009

I have a puppy! OK, well not really, it's technically my counterpart's dog, but if she loves me the most doesn't that sort of make her mine? This puppy has currently hit her really awkward (dare I say, ugly) stage, where her paws are practically the size of her head and her cute fluffy puppy fur is not longer quite so cute, not nearly as fluffy and considering that dogs in Kazakhstan don't get washed, she's becoming quite dirty and scruffy. But, I kind of love her anyways.

She hasn't quite yet gained control of her bladder so every time she sees me she just starts wagging her tail and peeing uncontrollably. I've convinced myself that it's endearing. She's not afraid of humans yet so I still get to pet her (the first dog I've actually been able to touch in Kazakhstan). Admittedly, I have to run to the water spout to wash my hands afterwards because, well even though I love her, she's still insanely dirty.

My counterpart's husband named her Strielka (which means arrow in Russian - because when she was a puppy she had a little arrowhead shaped white patch on her forehead). Unfortunately, that patch is barely visable now, making the name kind of pointless, but I like it anyways. I let her break the rules, like putting her paws inside the kitchen, even though my counterpart would give her a good whooping if she saw it. I'm secretly trying to maintain favorite status - which is really hard to do considering I'm not the one who feeds her.

I forget how great pets are sometimes...

3 comments:

Drew Blogs said...

I had a puppy in Kaskelen that also peed every time I pet it. I thought it was a puppy thing, but when I went back to visit the fam he still did. He'll prob be less cute when he starts acting as a spontaneous alarm clock.

sarah said...

Sounds like I need to send more peanut butter zukes!! :)

Tha Hube said...

the farm friends were in my dream last night. we were all sitting on this rocky beach at night time singing "lover, you should have come over" by jeff buckley. we were all playing electronic instruments which may or may not have been plugged in. it was really trippy.