Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's MERKE for me.

We found out our permanent sites on Thursday. I'll be in the South of Kazakhstan, about 4 hours from Almaty (by bus) and 130 km from Taraz (another big city) and close to Shymkent (the largest city in the South). So, I'm heading to Merke, Kazakhstan for the remainder of my 2 years. I'll be moving there in the beginning of November (the 8th I think?). The town itself is about 30,000 people, mild winters (no Siberian snow winters for me...), but very green and lots of fruits and veggies all year long. That's about all I know, so Google it and let me know what you find out.

4 comments:

Tha Hube said...

We're totally on peacecorpsjournals.com

We're SO FAMOUS.

-Nick

stephanie renee said...

So there is NO information on Merke, though they do have an online dating service.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi, Jamie!
I am from Merke. But i am studing in Almaty now.
Thank u for all that true u wrote.
I read it with my sister and laughted.We took greate pleasure!
I miss my village very much!
P.s.: Photos are super