Monday, March 31, 2008

The Art of Letter Writing

I think one of my favorite things in the world is receiving a letter via good old snail mail. I don't write this to encourage an onslaught of letters to my mailbox, but simply to comment on the lost art that is letter writing.

Early last week, shortly after the news that I had been nominated for the Peace Corps, I received a lime green envelope in the mail with my name on it. The return address said that it was from Lauren, in my book club, who is getting married in May. I automatically figured it was an invite to the bachelorette party in a few weeks, or something wedding-related. When I opened the envelope and found the word "Congratulations" on the front of the card, I was a little confused, but figured it was a clever way of congratulating me on being a part of the bachelorette shindig. :)

Imagine my surprise when I open the card to find a note congratulating me on my recent nomination to the Peace Corps. To say that I was shocked, is an understatement. I couldn't figure out why I was so stunned, but I was absolutely all smiles. I had just seen Lauren that weekend for book club, and with all of her wedding planning I couldn't grasp that this little letter in my hands was for me.

So, naturally I've been thinking about it since then, pondering what it is about a hand-written letter received in the mail that is so precious. I think it all boils down to the realization that sending a letter in the mail requires that one go out of their way - even just a little bit. These days, it is so easy to sign on to your email account and quickly type a little note to your friends or family, that the thought of having to pull out a piece of paper (or purchase a card) and grab your pen and write out a note to someone (not to mention the postage) seems like a lot of work.

I was involved in a conversation a few months back about the "Thank You Card". When I was growing up, Ryan and I were forced to sit down every year after Christmas and birthdays and write out our thank yous to grandparents, aunts, cousins, friends, etc. I remember dreading this chore. When you've just received a baby doll that crawls on the floor, the last thing you want to do is abandon said doll and write about how happy it makes you! But, nonetheless we were required each and every year to write these letters. Of course, these letters waned as we stopped being reminded (in our teens) by Mom to write them. And now, I rarely write them.

But, realizing that in a few short months my main method of communicating with family and friends will be through these hand-written, postally-delivered letters, I should probably start brushing up on this lost art. I don't think I even have a current address book!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I dislike writing thank you cards too. In a few decades they will be obsolete

sarah said...

749 Neal Ave. San Carlos, CA 94070 USA

Lauren said...

I am glad my card made you so happy! :) I, for one, still believe strongly in thank you notes, and write them diligently. I agree...there is something about getting a hand written card in the mail that cannot be replicated in the digital world. Can't wait for your letters!!!

Jill Chozen said...

First of all, Jamie, I'm delighted to hear the great news about your being accepted into the Peace Corps. Do you know where you're going to be posted yet? I knew when I met you at Lauren's shower that you were a unique, intelligent, charismatic young woman, and the Peace Corps will certainly benefit from your exceptional commitment and kindness. Lauren's mom, Susan, sent me the good news, as well as your most recent blog entry on The Art of Letter Writing. You are so right: receiving a hand-written note or letter is so much more personal than receiving the same message by email, and unfortunately it does seem to be a lost art. (As such, I feel particularly bad writing this to you on my computer!) I wish you much happiness and fulfillment during your upcoming years with the Peace Corps, and I look forward to seeing you at Lauren's shower in May.

Susan Raike said...

Jamie, I, too, want to congratulate you on being chosen for the Peace Corps. You are so fortunate to be able to take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. This is an experience that I know you will treasure for the rest of your life. The Peace Corps is lucky to get you!
I am also happy to hear that my etiquette training of Lauren has not gone to waste. See you at the wedding!
Warm wishes, Susan