Monday, March 10, 2008

For A Good Time Call...

So, I've been lagging on the blogging because my life has been absolutely crazy these past couple of weeks. Last I blogged, I mentioned the accident my car had just been in. Well it turns out that the older man, Leon, who smashed into the front end of my car, isn't a law-abiding citizen. When I notified the insurance companies of this little incident, he decided that he didn't feel like having his insurance rates go up, so he manufactured a statement that insisted I rear-ended him. After days of arguing with insurance adjusters, and one relatively calm call to Leon, it looks like I'm out of luck on this one. Too bad for me, because the estimate for the front-end damage he caused to my car just came back and it's going to cost me $2,828.58 to get it looking pretty again.

Obviously, I have experienced a range of emotions regarding this whole situation, but I've decided to pass on a little bit of advice to the other drivers out there. Here's what you do when you get into a car accident... First, you find a witness! You run down the street chasing any car that could have been in earshot of your accident, whatever it takes to get a witness. Second, you get a written statement from the nice old man who smashed your car, because it turns out that he might not be such a nice old man afterall. Third, you call the police to the scene (more witnesses!). Fourth, you take pictures. Lots of pictures! This is what I have learned. Had I managed to do any of these things, I wouldn't be footing the bill for my little vehicle. It sounds ridiculous and totally overboard to do these things, but here's the question... is it worth $3000? I think it might be.

For those who are curious how I'm handling this situation, I've decided against the idea of small claims court (it's a lot of time and effort, with a very small amount of evidence). Instead, I've decided to send a copy of my quote to Leon, accompanied by a non-angry letter. It took a while to get to this conclusion, and many other ideas have crossed my mind. In fact, I haven't quite ruled out the option of scribbling in every public restroom "For A Good Time Call Leon 650-367-7780". Yes, I do have his home phone number(and his cell phone), and yes I also have his home address. So, you can only imagine the number of angry possibilities that have played through my head.

But, I've decided to take the relatively high road. Although, now YOU have his phone number. Feel free to use it at your convenience. :)

1 comment:

Robin Fredianelli said...

Jamie - nearly the same thing just happened to my poor Jetta! Except that it was a "nice" old man but a jerky guy who thinks he's hot. We'll totally have to compare stories on Friday