Wednesday, April 30, 2008

It Should Come With A Warning Label

The new Weepies album "Hideaway" should definitely come with a warning label. I'm a big fan of The Weepies and I bought their new album last weekend before our road trip to Santa Barbara. Unfortunately, it wasn't really that kind of road trip so we didn't listen to the album- instead we listened to a really awesome 6 hour mix I made. So, when I got back to the Bay on Sunday I was really anxious to start listening. I got in a few tracks on the way to Burlingame for dinner with Ryan and Lailah on Monday night, but come Tuesday I still hadn't heard most of the album.

So I plugged in the iPod as I jumped in my car to head to my softball game. I figured I could listen to the remaining tracks to and from the field (which is less than ten minutes from my front door). As I got ready to turn onto 101N I saw that traffic was stopped. So, feeling pretty awesome for knowing the backroads, I decided I'd take them through Redwood Shores to avoid the freeway and traffic. It was an absolute success until I got within 100 yards of the field.

I sat stopped at the last light before the field. I was hanging out in the right hand lane enjoying my Weepies. The light turned green and the trail of cars started chugging forward. Suddenly I realized I was on the on-ramp to the freeway two lanes to the right of where I needed to be. Because traffic on 101 was so heavy there was no way for me to get over two lanes in the 20 feet before we entered "no turning back" territory. So, I slowly inched on to the freeway. As I drove past the field I laughed at myself for being so ridiculous as I imagined my teammates watching me creeping by the field on the freeway.

I finally made it down to the next exit and turned around to get back on 101 heading the other direction (which had much less traffic at this time of day). I was cranking my Weepies again and enjoying life as I drove past the field one more time before my exit. I exited and headed left. It was just seconds too late that I realized the left hand lane doesn't take you East over the overpass, but instead takes you down to the next exit. Again, I had to take the backroads through Belmont this time, to get back to the overpass I had just driven under twice.

I finally made it to the field, had just enough time to lace up my cleats and then I was running to the batter's box.

I was that car on the road that just kept driving past its destination but couldn't actually manage to get there. Back and forth on 101 I drove, while my teammates sat at the field totally unaware that I was just on the other side of the fence passing by on the freeway.

Pretty much, I blame The Weepies.

No comments: