Monday, June 16, 2008

The Happiness that Is/Was "The Fort"

I've got this friend. Her name is Stephanie. She's an actor.

Oh and yes, I've learned it's more PC to call her an actor than an actress. Darn feminism and equal rights interfering with the English language. We invent these words and we don't even use them, argh.

Anyways, back to the point.

She is currently performing in a show in San Francisco called Headspace (nice plug, I know). A group of us went to see the show and celebrate this budding actor friend recently. We show up only to find, what? That there's a fort! Um, yea!

The stage was a round stage and they had constructed various seating arrangements around it, one of which was a fort! So, of course we all fought over the fort and crammed as many of us as possible on it. You'd do it too, dont lie.

But what I've come to realize is that the fort is genius. I mean, truly genius. Because, while I am a fan of theater and enjoy a good show every season or so, this is definitely not the case for everyone. You know there are guys who have been dragged to plays by their girlfriends one too many times. So what do you do? You put a fort in the theater and suddenly the child in us all emerges and you're stoked to be watching this performance before you because you're camped out in a fort. Because really, who doesn't love a fort?

And even for those of us who do love a good show every once in a while, there's always something about the venue to complain about: no leg room, seats are squeaky, smells bad, etc. But lie down in a fort with pillows and try complaining about the venue...

Now, if you insist on being one of those people who swears they don't appreciate a good fort, you shouldn't be reading my blog because we shouldn't be friends. But, I suppose I'll let you stay (my readership isn't quite large enough to turn anyone away just yet).

Oh, and don't forget the best part: The top of the fort had a bucket that they could raise and lower for food and drinks. This is not a joke. Fort + Bucket = Elation.

I can't finish this post without confirming that actor friend Stephanie is indeed a rockstar, not to mention MY friend. :) Yes, Stephanie you heard it here first, I'm your friend not just Mike's.


Jason and Matt experiencing the happiness that is the fort.

Sure, there were couches too... but not quite the same as the fort.


And the happiness continues...

Ahh the fort... in all it's glory. Note the bucket.

4 comments:

stephanie renee said...

Screw the reviews. I know I've made it when I'm mentioned in Jamie's blog. Whoot! Yay fort! Too bad I have to tear it down on Sunday. Signed, YOUR friend, the actor.

Lauren said...

The FORT was AWESOME! So, was Steph, but I definitely enjoyed watching her from atop a fort. Thanks, Jamie, for letting me relive it for just a few minutes.

Sarah said...

Don't knock the couches! I think we look like a pretty exciting group!

Aannnd, Steph did rock!

Unknown said...

Hello - My name is Nick. I am the creator or the fort... and bucket. Although other hands helped raise the fort, it was my brain child. I am so pleased that the fort brought joy to many.

You should wait until our next show - I am thinking about having hay stacks....

You should come back to another show - or attend our raging gala party on August 2nd. Lots of booze and food.